Ever wonder why Mill Hill East station exists? Well in the first episode of the Unfinished London video series, Jay Foreman takes a look at the Northern Heights plan. While the video was originally published over 4 years ago, I’m hoping you may not have seen it. But even if you have, it’s worth a second viewing.
Far from being a boring history lesson, Jay instead looks at the more humorous aspects of London’s quixotic approach to planning. Just a few of the gems you’ll see in the video:
- Evidence of a former railway you can see on Google Earth.
- Revealing footage of Dr. Beeching.
- A bunch of bridges over nothing.
- Clues as to where the new line would have gone.
- Why a certain useless bus stop exists on the A41.
- The Green Belt’s role in all this.
- How a poster destroyed the very area it was designed to promote.
- Why all houses in suburbia look the same.
- What Bushey Heath station might have looked like.
- Why any attempt to complete the Northern Heights plan today, would mean Jay’s grandmother would be forced from her home.
- Finally see Jay run down the middle of the M1.